FAO led a learning event looking at what tools and policies are required to bring food security, adaptation and mitigation together at the Agriculture and Rural Development Day taking place in Durban, South Africa on the sidelines of UN climate change talks COP17 .
- Drought-resistant varieties using local biodiversity, leading to increased productivity and reduced risk in Mali.
- Community seed enterprises developed, leading to availability of suitable seeds for local farming communities in Cameroon.
- With urea deep placement technique improved fertilizer management was reached, wasting less resources (25% decrease in urea use). It also showed a 25% increase in crop yields; and increased opportunities for income. In Bangladesh some 2,500 urea making pellets created, mainly run by women in Bangladesh.
- Increase south-south cooperation (e.g. in transfer of technology)
- Have proven economic performance/impact
- Ensure solid scientific basis (strongly considering local knowledge)
- Integrate climate concerns into national agricultural policies, extension messages and education systems